Interested in receiving these updates via email? Sign up now.
- Carbon Leadership Forum’s Wood Carbon Series Underway
- Think Wood: Benchmark Survey Results
- The AWC Updates Key Fire-Resistance Calculation Report
- Tracking the Effects of COVID-19
- Hotel Construction Resilient at Pandemic’s Onset
- Wood Offers Clear Advantages in Prefab Construction
- Survey Shows Notable Regional Differences in Decking, Outdoor Living Markets
- Dodge Makes Downward Adjustments to Construction Forecast
- WoodWorks Expert Quoted Extensively in Forbes’ Piece on Mass Timber
- U.S. Forests and Wood Products Offset 11% of U.S. Emissions Each Year
- LBM Dealers Voice Concern About Coronavirus Impact
- How Long Will Housing Construction Be on Hold?
- Oregon ABC News Affiliate Raises Awareness of Tall Mass Timber
Insights From the Competition
2019 SLB Annual Report Now Available
The Softwood Lumber Board (SLB) recently published its 2019 annual report, which provides an overview of how the SLB created demand for softwood lumber products through its investments in codes, communications, conversions, and innovation.
In 2019, SLB-funded programs generated 1.449 billion board feet of incremental softwood lumber demand, 14% higher than the annual target and a 204 million board feet increase over 2018. For every $1 spent by the SLB in 2019, 106.5 board feet of incremental demand was generated, yielding a $37.90 return on investment for every $1 spent.
Access the SLB’s 2019 annual report here.
U.S. Customs to Collect Assessments on Imported Softwood Lumber Starting July 1, 2020
Beginning July 1, 2020, U.S. Customs and Border Protection will collect assessments on imported softwood lumber covered under the Softwood Lumber Order. To date, companies have been required to report and pay assessments directly to the SLB.
Learn more here.
Duncan Davies Joins Board of Pinnacle Renewable Energy
Longtime softwood lumber champion Duncan Davies has joined the board of directors of British Columbia–based Pinnacle Renewable Energy, effective April 21. Pinnacle is one of the world’s leading manufacturers and distributors of industrial wood pellet.
From 2000 to 2019, Davies served as President and Chief Executive Officer of Interfor Corporation, one of the largest forest products companies in the world. Davies currently serves as the Vice Chair of the Binational Softwood Lumber Council and was a founding director of the SLB.
Read about Davies’ appointment here.
Carbon Leadership Forum’s Wood Carbon Series Underway
The Carbon Leadership Forum (CLF) began an eight-part online Wood Carbon Seminar in late April to support building designers to account for embodied and sequestered carbon in harvested wood products. The American Wood Council (AWC) partnered with the CLF to produce the seminar and assisted in identifying topics and speakers.
The seminar consists of four two-week blocks, with each block comprising a webinar presentation in week one followed by a guided, discussion-only session on the same topic in week two.
The first webinar, Background & Basics, featured Cynthia West, Director of the Office of Sustainability and Climate for the U.S. Forest Service, and Kent Wheiler, associate professor at the University of Washington School of Environmental and Forest Sciences and Director of the Center for International Trade in Forest Products.
The next webinars will cover life-cycle assessment (LCA) and wood, tracking carbon in North America, and current and future uses of wood LCA in the building industry. Register for upcoming webinars and access recorded versions here.